Wednesday 9 July 2014

Salvador Dali

Salvador Felipe Jacinto Dali I Domench was born on the 11th May 1904 (died January 23rd, 1989) in Figueres, Spain and is known as being a iconic painter in the surrealist movement. In his early years he attended a prominent art academy in Madrid. He joined the surrealist movement in 1929 and quickly became one of the most high profile and controversial members. Many of his works were inspired by the Spanish landscapes he grew up and lived around - especially in Port Lligat where he made his home with his wife Gala Dali, also another eminent source for his inspiration. He used many different forms of media such as film, sculpture, painting, drawings and photography. For me, I find his work is not abstract enough, although the pictures themselves are very dream like they are painted/drawn with too much accuracy making the images he is trying to purvey very easy to depict.  I do however respect his drawing ability and the concepts and art forms he relays with such clarity.

" I do not understand why, when I ask for grilled lobster in a restaurant, I'm never served a cooked telephone" 

- Salvador Dali

Here are some of his famous works:

Metamorphosis of Narcissus:



The Persistence of Memory:
'


Swans Reflecting Elephants:




No comments:

Post a Comment